Search This Blog

Friday, January 14, 2011

It’s been a busy eight weeks...

Over the last six - eight weeks Council and I have worked hard and accomplished a great deal and I believe this will continue throughout 2011. With record snow falls, sign by-law revisions, a new governance policy in the works, the budget approved unanimously, transmission line hearings in the spring, we have been very busy with much more on the horizon.
We have gathered together as a community for Remembrance Day ceremonies, the Community Center Opening, Festival of Trees, the art unveiling at the new Library, Heartland Hall’s light up, the CP Holiday train and our New Year’s Eve celebrations. 
It is my hope that you will join Council for the upcoming New Year's Levée on Sunday, January 16th, in the Agora of the Community Centre – another chance for us to celebrate the future and spirit of this community.
I am excited about this Council and our ability to work together with the County staff for the residents - with your input.  We want to leave a great legacy for the future of Strathcona County, our children and grandchildren to inherit.
Please join us on Sunday at the Levée – it is another wonderful opportunity for us to connect!
Linda

2 comments:

  1. I'm pleased with the hard work you all are doing! I love that you're connecting with the community via facebook and with blogging! It's great to be able to keep up on a more casual basis with my community! I've been a Park Girl for all by 7 of my almost 41 years, and am very proud of this little "burg".
    I'm glad to see that your budget was a good one, as it must be to pass unanimously (in my opinion). I hope that we won't have to use too much snow removal budget next year to make up for this year (crazy, isn't it?).
    I am very concerned about the overhead power transmission lines -- that isn't something easy to undo once it's there, and I feel as though the County has already worked so hard to keep its residents safe from the refineries with the buffer-zone .. putting in big lines just seems such a step back. I wonder why the power-company wants to spend so much building the big towers? I'm a "straight-line / common sense" thinker and it just doesn't make sense to do that. It does make me wonder why they would add millions to their costs, and in a very suspicious way!
    Another thing that I am very concerned with that I see daily in my commute is the overpass & merge lanes where the new Henday meets Sherwood Park Freeway -- that has not changed since they were built in the 50s or 60s! They are just not designed for the volume of traffic -- it's very dangerous and very scary!! The new speed limit doesn't slow very many people down eastbound on the Freeway, then there's bumper-to-bumper trying to merge in from 17th Street, then the bumper-to-bumper trying to exit off on the Henday southbound, then the bumper-to-bumper coming up off the southbound Henday as well as other people also trying to exit to the northbound Henday. It's a nightmare, and more days than not, I am white-knuckled by the time I get through! I hope that the province and surrounding areas are planning a big upgrade and to help us with the costs of it, since we financially helped the first leg of Stony Plain/Spruce Grove detour part waaayyyy back when the Henday was first being planned and built. Anyway, just my two cents' worth -- I didn't intend to blog in your comments!
    I'm not sure if I can make it on Sunday, but will definitely keep it in mind! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,

    Your comment is exactly what I'm looking for and the reasoning behind our Social Media presence. Residents' comments and feedback are always welcome and are very important. Your input is heard and appreciated.

    We are working on more exciting projects. More initiatives are to come.

    If you hear anything please let me know.

    Stay posted. 2011 is going to be an exciting year!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete