Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Official Strathcona County News Release leads to more questions from residents

Today a news release came out about a meeting held by the Mayor and Councillor Carr, Chief Commissioner Singleton, MLA Evans and Quest and Ministers from Health and Infrastructure. All of council was not informed of this meeting nor asked to be included. This was definitely an attempt to cover up any political fallout which occurred from last Tuesday's council meeting. A meeting that revealed that the Province directed Alberta Health to call the emergency urgent care facility a hospital not a Community Health Facility. A facility that would be a nightmare and extra work for our already over taxed EMS (Emergency Medical Services). The response from the public has been huge. There are more questions than answers. I have to ask.
Why is it that suddenly the Mayor takes action when she and Councillor Carr were well aware two and a half months ago that the facility Strathcona was to get was only an emergency center not a hospital?
Why is it that our MLA's and the Health minister suddenly covering the fact that they broke their promises and now are willing to make public press releases stating otherwise?
Hospital or not, we were misled, lied to and now they are trying to cover their tracks!
Makes you wonder who is in who's back pocket.

3 comments:

  1. I am concerned about results. I am concerned that we have had year after year of delay. I am watching to see if the Province moves forward on the promise made today that things will start happening on that land within a day or two.

    I don't care who moved the agenda forward. I don't care why they choose to move it forward. When my daughter needs healthcare services, I won't stop to ask who made it possible.

    What I do care about is having a County Council that works effectively towards representing their constituents. To do that we need a unified Council. It is not helpful to our County to have people on Council who will stamp their feet and pout if they aren't included in a meeting.

    That is in no way representative of the "Spirit" of Strathcona County.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like sour grapes to me... A few Councillors have based their platforms around the hospital being an issue, and now that platform is gone. Shouldn't Council just be happy about the progress made on the hospital, regardless if their name is attached to it or not? They should be happy that we are finally getting answers and action done. How about being happy for the residents of Strathcona County that they have been given more concrete answers on what is happening with the hospital. I'm an avid political follower, and I had every intention going into this election to vote for you. I have to voice my disappointment at the mudslinging I have seen on this blog and in the twitter world. I hope this stops right away, and I will have to base my decision on what I see over the next month or so.

    I am hoping this gets posted as a comment on your blog, but I am guessing that as it contradicts your opinion, it will never be seen online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments. It's important to remember this hospital saga is a move forward initiative. It is not about getting credit where credit is due. It is not about who started fighting first for the residents of Strathcona County. It is about honesty, integrity, transparency and accountablility to council and all residents.

    Phase two is where we need to direct our energy towards. The facts support an active treatment facility. As a nurse, a mother and a resident of Strathcona County, I empathize with many Strathcona County residents who believe we are long ovedue for a hospital because they have experienced first hand both emotional and physical trauma of not having a hospital in sufficiently close proximity to their homes to have made the difference. People have lost lives, children, spouses and parents.

    It is important to remember that in 2013, we are not getting a hospital. Phase 1 is not a hospital.

    ReplyDelete